Sunday, April 21, 2013

Interview with Caroline Gebbie


 

Another interview with  
Indie Authors 4-U 
Today we are talking to  Caroline Gebbie she writes Horror and Suspense.

Tell us a little about you?

I’m a British writer, who lives in beautiful South Yorkshire, England with two white boxer dogs, a husband and a lot of Koi. I’m a qualified accountant, but left my job a few years ago due to ill health. I now run a couple of businesses with my husband, and love to write in my spare time.





I love pets so tell us a little about your dogs?  I see a few ribbons.
I have always had a dog and as well as writing they are the love of my life. I would say, don’t tell my husband, but he already knows. I like to compete with them in competition obedience and recently Rally O. Dogs are great characters and Boxers doubly so, they give me lots of inspiration and often pop up in my writing.


Have you always wanted to be a writer? When did you start writing?
I have always been a big reader, even at junior school you would find me with my head in a book. I loved the black stallion books. Then I was introduced to, and fell in love with horror and thrillers, the darker the better. At school, the one subject I loved was English as it gave me the chance to write and to lose myself in my imagination. I was constantly writing stories, I also wrote to newspapers and magazines. 

Is the book you’re working on now your first Novel? Is it part of
a series? 
I’m working on two books at the moment. A collection of short stories which all include dogs, these range from cute to scary, and even the odd poem. Then I’m working on my second novel a horror/thriller where the youth of a small town are disappearing. This is written, I just have to do the bit I hate, editing. Flee, my first novel, is not part of a series but it could be in the future.



What would you like to tell us about your current book?
I’ve just published a supernatural thriller called Flee. I really enjoyed working on this book. It’s a fast paced thriller but I’m told is not for the faint hearted. It came about because of all the vampire books. I wanted to do something different, in it immortality has a high price. It follows a girl fleeing for her life when everyone may have reason to kill her, who should she trust. It has magic, terror, suspense and even some happy moments.





How did you get into Self Publishing?
I love writing but would be too lazy to approach publisher after publisher, a friend pushed me into putting my books out there and I can’t think of a better way.

Did you learn anything along the way as you wrote the book?
I learned loads, Flee was actually the second book I wrote but it needed less work than the first. I combine reading with writing and you learn all the time, you improve all the time. Flee also contains magic so I researched a lot for this book.

From start to finish, how long does it generally take you to write a book? 
That depends on how long I procrastinate. I usually take about a week to outline an idea, then a month to write, but editing can take me forever, especially if another story is shouting for me to write it.

What was the hardest part about the writing process?
Editing, I hate it. I work with a professional, but even so it is something I put off as long as I can.

What advice would you give aspiring writers? 
Write, read, write, read, and repeat forever. Find someone objective that you trust to critique your work and learn from each critique. But most importantly don’t give in.

For you personally, what is the best thing about being a writer?
I love to lose myself in a story but I also love to be able to walk my dogs whenever I want.


Are you learning anything new even in this stage of your craft? 
Absolutely, I research each book but also you constantly grow as a writer.

If you could change anything about novel what would it be?
I finished two novels five years ago, but then did nothing with them. If I could change anything it would be to publish them then.

What can folks expect from this point on?  More novels?
I have two novels written waiting editing, and more ideas than I could ever write. To quote Arnie, “I’ll be back.”



What have you learned lately that might help Authors,
new software, new editing service?
The support on the internet is brilliant, don’t be afraid to use it. Sites such as Indie Authors are a great resource, if you get stuck ask. I think the biggest problem new authors have is fear of getting their work out in public, find a partner who will critique your work, learn and build up your confidence.


When will you think as an author that you have arrived?
I hope I always want to improve but when it pays the bills will be a good milestone.


What did you learn doing the KDP Select?
 Be prepared and promote your heart out.

What do you think was the most helpful thing you did during the giveaway?
During the giveaway I’m not sure, but before it help other authors, build up a network of people that you have helped and they will help share your book.

What would you not do again during the giveaway?
Facebook adds.

I'd like to thank Caroline for being with us today. Her book Flee can currently be found here.

Link from anywhwere





I'd like to thank the bigstock photographers
for their great images. 

Javier Brosch
Annette Shaff
Ivan Mikhaylov
Edward Fielding
Steve Pepple 
T.A. Byrne 

Follow us by clicking on the cute dog.



Samantha Fury is the author of  the Street Justice Series
She's written many articles on book covers, for Indie Authors.  
She operates several Indie Groups. Editing Services, Cover Artist, 
Helpful Indie Facebook Groups, and a wonderful Forum 
just for Indie Authors.









No comments:

Post a Comment